Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Here Javelina Javelina Javelina!

Mmmmm, carroty!

Cute, but nasty

Run away!


I was going down to the mail box this morning when I heard feetsteps coming from the yard next door. It's always startling to see these big guys. We'd thrown a carrot in the front yard for the bunnies since S3 doesn't like carrots as much as Peeps did. Apparently this Javelina likes them, too. So much for feeding the bunnies.

You've heard of the expression, "Speak of the Devil"? We were on our walk earlier this morning talking about which dogs I had heard were attacked by Javelinas and where the Javalina packs had come through the neighborhood. Mrs. Beisbolfan hadn't seen any on our walks, but I and our friend Mr. G had. So had Peeps and S3. The pups were interested, but wary. Good doggies!
When I saw the group walking across the street from the wash on one side to the other, there were little baby J's that were bouncing up and down, chasing each other and generally behaving like all little kids do.




3 comments:

  1. Growing up in the mostly uninhabited foothills of Tucson, I can remember when some people would shoot and eat Javelina. What you are showing here is that the art of chumming is not lost. Are we looking at Holiday dinner, or just a photo op?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so sure I'm all that excited about a big wild pig in my front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are definetly not cudly. They are like most animals able to survive in the desert - very tough!
    I was once chased by a group (herd?) of Javalina while walking my bike across Rillito River going to School. (I was kicked off the bus for a week.) I ended up in a Tamarisk tree.

    ReplyDelete