Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Jazz Fest pic-o-the day 3

Tony Bennett at the Jazz Fest? Yes, that Tony Bennett!
While I don't usually go to the Fairgrounds to see the 'big acts', the Festival feels that they need to bring in some big names to get the gate. We don't necessarily eschew the big acts, and usually catch some of the set, but it's not why we go.

This year, some of the acts that I would consider having been booked not so much to reflect the Heritage of Jazz in New Orleans (the reason behind the awkwardly named event), are Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter, Pete Seeger, Dave Matthews Band, Earth, Wind & Fire, Etta James, The Robert Cray Band, Sugarland, Bon Jovi (or is that Jon Bovi?) and Neil Young and Maze featuring Frankie Beverly (a very popular Festival closing act at Congo Square).

Some of these people I feel we should see because they are music icons, and who knows how long they will be with us, at least performing. Some because you can say, "Oh yes, I saw Neil Young/Bob Dylan/Phish/Paul Simon at Fest"

My story of this Jazz Fest happened right before Tony Bennett came on. We headed to the Gentilly stage before the start and headed along the track toward the front of the stage. There are entrances along the track so that you can get into the infield at many points. We chose to go in right up front. I was leaning against the railing of the ramp that the VIPs use to get to the very front of the stage, a place for the photographers and other posers to watch. So we were about 10 feet from the side of the stage. I watched as lots of people came up, showed their stickers and badges to a weary guard. The show wasn't going to start for 10 minutes or so, a long time in Jazz Fest terms, but we needed to rest.

A guy came up the ramp and exchanged some pleasantries with the guard, then came back to right about where I was standing. Now this guy had something about him that just didn't really fit the Jazz Fest crowd, or even the Jazz Fest VIPs. He had some sort of covering over his head shielding him from the heat. My guess is that he was not used to being out in the daylight. He looked out over the crowd, back to the stage and then back out over the crowd. Turning to me, he remarked, "It's a big crowd". I wasn't sure what I should say, so I said, "Yes, it is. But that's a good thing (isn't it?)" He nodded and looked at the stage and then this gathering crowd. Before he walked off, he turned to me and said, "Enjoy Tony." Ah. All I could think to do was nod. This confirmed to me that this was a big guy in the entourage. Maybe the guy. I felt he would have taken a rather dim view if I'd indicated that I was not going to enjoy Tony.
After a couple (three actually!) of songs by Tony's semi-talented daughter, Antonia, the big man came on and was great! Unfortunately, since Antonia took up so much time, we only stayed for a couple of Tony's songs before we headed off for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment