Thursday, October 2, 2008

Grandfather (and Grandmother)'s clock

When I was little, I would hear the "Liberty" clock in my grandparents' dining room start to strike. It struck once on the half hour and the number of the hours on the hour. I would always race in and sometimes made it (when it was after 6 or so) to see it strike the last couple of times. Forget it on the half hour or early in the afternoon. I don't know why I was so fascinated by it. It was just that the little mechanism would pull back and then boing! Simple things for simple minds. The funny thing is, all I would have to do is wait for 1/2 hour and sit there to watch the whole process, but I could never remember that long. (Reminds me of always forgetting to bring home the pieces of the locks display-remember that?)
So, we brought it back from my folks' house and now it sits atop the buffet like an antefix. Looks nice there, I'm thinkin'. What do you think?

Oh, by the way, check out Goldena's plate in the lower right!

Goldena's painting on a plate (detail)



Liberty clock (detail)

No comments:

Post a Comment